- Donatelli & Coules, Ltd. assists our clients with the preparation of an estate plan to outline how they want their assets to be distributed upon their passing. The documents we typically prepare for our clients often include Living Trusts, Wills, Powers of Attorney for Property, Powers of Attorney for Health Care and Living Wills.
- Wills and Trusts are generally the most important documents of an estate plan as they explicitly state how your assets are distributed and to whom they are distributed following one's passing. One common goal of a Trust is to entirely eliminate the probate process following one's death, which enables the trustmaker's intentions to be kept private and not a matter of public record. Additionally, trusts are often used in connection with minimizing or entirely eliminating federal and state estate taxes.
- A Power of Attorney for Property appoints someone to act on your behalf at any time when you would be unable to manage your financial and personal affairs due to illness or mental disability. If your personal physician certifies that you are no longer disabled, you can resume the management of your affairs.
- A Power of Attorney for Health Care and Living Will outline your wishes with respect to your health care and whether or not you desire any life-sustaining measures be taken or if you would like to donate organs. The Power of Attorney for Health Care also appoints someone to act on your behalf who can discuss these matters with your personal physician and decide what actions to take regarding your health care.
Corporate & Business Transactions
- Donatelli & Coules, Ltd. has extensive experience with helping clients setup business entities such as corporations (including not-for-profit corporations), limited liability companies and limited partnerships. This includes preparing the necessary documents to incorporate the business with the Illinois Secretary of State, obtain an Employer Identification Number, prepare stock certificates for the shareholders and any other documents needed for a business.
- Donatelli & Coules, Ltd. also acts as Registered Agent for businesses. We, as Registered Agent, are designated on public record to accept any legal documents and notifications from the Illinois Secretary of State's office on behalf of the business, including any litigation documents. As Registered Agent, we receive the Annual Report, which needs to be filed annually for businesses, and prepare the annual Minutes of Shareholders and Board of Directors.
Probate & Estate Administration
- When a client of Donatelli & Coules, Ltd. is appointed as a fiduciary upon the death of a family member or friend, we assist them with the administration of an estate or trust. This process can be time consuming and present complicated legal and tax issues, of which Donatelli & Coules, Ltd. is more than prepared to assist with. We help our clients assemble a list of the decedent's assets and distribute them in accordance with the decedent's wishes pursuant to his or her will or trust. We are also able to advise our clients on the tax implications for each beneficiary of the decedent's estate or trust in order to determine the best way to distribute the assets to minimize the amount of income taxes that otherwise may have to be paid.
Income Tax Return Preparation & Tax Planning
- In addition to being an attorney, Mark Donatelli is a certified public accountant who, with the assistance of our team of certified public accountants, oversees the preparation of 400+ federal and state income tax returns for individuals, corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, trusts, estates and exempt organizations, as well as estate and gift tax returns. In addition to preparing income and estate tax returns, we provide tax planning services to our clients, as well as prepare responses to notices our clients may receive from the Internal Revenue Service and state departments of revenue in order to ensure that their tax returns are properly processed.
Real Estate & Zoning
- Since its establishment, Donatelli & Coules, Ltd. has been assisting clients with planning, structuring and negotiating residential as well as commercial property transactions. This includes, but is not limited to, purchasing and selling properties, dealing with environmental concerns, zoning matters, land use, representation of developers and tax assessment appeals. We have a dedicated team of real estate assistants who can answer any questions you may have regarding real estate transactions. The normal course of a real estate transaction includes preparing & reviewing contracts, reviewing & negotiating any modifications to the contracts, order & review title work and surveys, ordering payoff letters for existing mortgages, preparing closing documents and attending closings.
Other Legal Matters
- This Firm's attorneys have a network of many trusted attorneys that we work with, or have worked with in the past, who work with clients on legal matters that we do not handle. These matters include, but are not limited to, commercial litigation, personal injury claims, pre and post divorce decree proceedings, criminal matters (including DUI's), worker's compensation claims, and commercial and residential real estate tax appeals.